Once we decide to start on a regular HIIT schedule, the first few days are exciting and rush to the shops or order online for exercise gears, proper workout clothes, and look out for an exercise mat for HIIT that can withstand our hips and grips.
A great HIIT workout mat can protect your joints, knees, elbows, and other parts of your body while you performing HIIT training.
But with attractive colors, cheap pricing, and different varieties, how do we choose the best exercise mat for HIIT?
In a hurry? For those who just want to see our top picks of the best HIIT exercise mats, here you go.
- Gorilla Premium Extra Large Exercise Mat—Best Reviewed
- Gxmmat Non-Slip Anti-Tear Exercise Mat—Our Best Choice
- Square36 Extra Large Exercise Mat
- AG ACTIVEGEAR HIIT Workout Mat
- HemingWeigh Extra Thick Foam Workout Mat
- We Sell Mats
- Gaiam Fitness Mat—Best Budget HIIT Mat
- Sivan Health & Fitness Comfort Foam HIIT Mat
Keep These in Mind While Choosing an Exercise Mat for HIIT
An exercise mat seems to be a simple piece of base that should save you from the dusty floors, the vitality of its presence starts dawning once you start using it.
It’s importance booms up, even more, when you work out on the right mat, enhancing your overall exercising experience.
It is not wrong to say that an exercise mat is the backbone of your HIIT routine. So make a note of the following criteria before finalizing on your mat.
The most criteria for choosing a HIIT workout mat is that you need to make sure this mat is non-slip. A sticky mat can prevent you from sliding when you perform the high-intensity workout.
Compared to the rubber-based exercise mats, the mats made of PVC are the most tickets. But the rubber mats still have a great grip, and they have more traction than PVC mats.
The second point you should consider is the thickness.
Greater the thickness better is your protection from injuries and pain to the knee, back, and joints as the mat would have optimal cushioning.
Never choose thin mats as this intrudes with your comfort levels while doing HIIT exercises.
Choose a mat that fits your body length and width-wise within it: neither too long nor too short. The right size ensures that you don’t get hurt while doing exercises.
4. Material Used
This is of great importance as exercising involves sweating, and it is always recommended to use PVC, rubber-based, or resin mats as they prevent slips.
If you are allergic to the smell of rubber, then PVC made of vinyl is ideal to use.
Other considerations are the mat weight and color. These are what you should think about it but it’s also relatively subjective, you can make your decision on your own.
Once these criteria are fulfilled, it’s upon you to choose your favorite color mat and start working out!
Top 8 Versatile & Best Exercise Mats for HIIT
Based on the points mentioned above, we have listed down the top 8 HIIT mats that could make your exercising experience blissful.
The idea of doing a full-fledged workout in the comforts of your home is a great aspiration. But you simply cannot start doing crunches or squats on a floor that might be slippery.
What you need is a non-slip and spacious surface over which you can possibly do any kind of exercise. This is where the Gorilla mats come into the picture, offering the perfect cushioning, padding, and durability.
This mat comes with the perfect packaging with the help of two storage straps.
It is made from premium-quality material that can withstand your shoe impressions and is big enough for accommodating any kind of workout.
Exercise without any extra pain on your joints or palms even while doing high-intensity workouts using the premium cushioned non-slip Gorilla mats.
- Built to support all workouts including HIIT, Zumba, cardio, strength training, kettlebell, and TRX
- The mat comes with a 100% microfibre towel as an accessory which helps in minimizing moisture by using it whenever required
- Could be the right choice for use on any kind (carpet, tiles or wood) of flooring
- No odor, non-toxic and non-slippery
- Shock-absorbing mat
- Provides the right combination of comfort, durability, and stability with the help of circle-patterned bottom grips that prevent any slips
- Comes with extra accessories such as a carry bag, a 100% microfiber towel and 2 Velcro straps
- Lifetime warranty
- Comparatively expensive
- Not quite suitable for powerlifting workouts but working out with lightweight barbells should be fine
- Needs to provide more moisture absorption
Are you fed up with replacing your exercise mats now and then?
Here is a product that could last a lifetime with its commendable design and construction, guaranteeing a serene exercising experience to all.
The Gxmmat HIIT exercise mat could be your ideal choice if you are more into HIIT, yoga, meditation, light cardio workouts, Pilates, poses, stretching, or those activities that could be done without wearing shoes.
The 7mm memory foam padding provides the user with ultimate stability and cushioning.
The non-skid surfaces on either side offer a good grip and are non-slippery while performing any exercise on the mat.
- An eco-friendly product that is free from latex, phthalates, silicone and toxic materials
- Durable, comfortable, extra large and easy to clean
- Protects the elbows, knees and your body from any kind of impact
- Never slips or moves while exercising due to the matrix-circle underside
- Lifetime service
- Must be used without shoes
- Inappropriate size
Though it’s not the thickest mat available in the market, it is built of dense foam that helps in offering much comfort when laid upon the floor surface.
Square36 is big enough—6 ft by 6 ft (hence the name square 36 maybe!)—and weighs around 19 pounds, which makes it a great workout mat for exercises such as HIIT, kettlebell, ropes workout, P90x, cardio workouts, and more.
Though thick, carrying it around is easy enough-anywhere from one room to another, to your fitness class or the park.
The manufacturer has produced these mats keeping the environment in mind as they are from non-toxic material and extremely durable.
- Comfortable and durable to use
- It comes with an added accessory in the form of a storage bag and strap. The straps help in keeping the mat rolled while the bag fits the mat inside keeping your space tidy and neat
- Lifetime warranty
- Made of non-toxic material
- Dense foam guards you from hard surfaces
- Available only in a single color, black, which would not be everyone’s favorite
- The foam is thin
- The gird will disappear after about 8 months (use it every day)
Carry your home gym anywhere by purchasing the AG Activegear mat that’s extremely easy to carry, simple to use, and almost twice as big as your normal yoga mat.
Exercising implies that you care about your health, and AG Activegear does its part in supporting the user in this endeavor by manufacturing eco-friendly mats from safe, non-toxic material.
Do any kind of exercise right from weightlifting and cardio workouts to dance and HIIT workouts using this mat that comes with dense padding and non-slip guarantee offering the perfect grip on every surface (carpet, tiles or concrete in the comfort of your living room, garage or even basement).
- Simple to store and carry as the product comes with two Velcro straps and a carry bag
- Jump rope provided as a free accessory
- 7mm foam padding prevents slippage and provides comfort and stability
- Perform any workout with/without shoes
- Some users feel that the mat is too big to fit their rooms
It provides cushioning to your back and knees, and it’s non-slippery and suitable for HIIT training as the mat is sturdy.
The memory foam used keeps the mat cushy enough on both sides, offering better durability and comfort than your regular yoga mats.
- Thick but light enough to carry around easily
- Suitable for any kind of exercise-right from yoga or Pilates to stretches and other floor exercises as it offers protection to the knees and joints
- Moisture-resistant making it easy to clean
- Fishy or a bad smell emanates from the mat
- Does get a little slippery when wet
The very first thing that attracts any buyer while trying to pick a mat is its color though this should be the last point in your checklist!
We Sell Mats understands that eyes are the keys to reach a buyer’s heart as they have manufactured their exercise mats in multiple colors—pink, purple, or even multicolor ones.
These beautiful mats come in three different sizes, too, which help the users pick the right one that could fit their room size.
This could be the perfect choice for kids, and young gymnasts as the 2-inch foam thickness provide the perfect surface for practicing tumbling, cartwheels, back handsprings, and more.
You can equally excel performing exercises such as push-ups, sit-ups, squats, lunges, and more.
- Supports knees, elbows and back from injury
- Cross-linked foam provides comfort and stability while exercising
- Durable and portable
- The vinyl material makes it easy to clean the mat
- Could be used only on a flat indoor surface or on hardwood flooring
- Not enough cushioning
For those focusing on performing yoga extensively, the Gaiam yoga mats should be your immediate pick.
They have a range of prints, designs, and colors such as mandala, sundial, and many more to wake up and express the inner yogi in every individual.
But please note that these mats must be unrolled and left to air out for a couple of days before starting to use them as they release a harmless odor during initial days.
The mats are not only stylishly designed but are constructed using eco-friendly material that’s free of DEHP, DBP, DINP, BBP, and DNOP.
The cushioning is perfect here, providing a protective surface for your joints and whole body while doing yoga or any other fitness activity.
- The sticky non-slip surface provides perfect traction and grip
- The design and vibrant colors are motivating and pleasant to the eyes
- The mat comes with downloadable yoga workout recommendations that are free
- 6P-free and made of non-toxic material
- Smells bad
Yoga has become a regular fitness routine for many due to its extensive range of benefits.
There are exclusive mats that cater to the needs of those individuals who practice yoga daily.
The Sivan product could be a good pick for those traveling regularly or even for doing warm-up exercises or stretches on a day-to-day basis.
Take it wherever you go with the help of shoulder straps provided with the mat.
The mat is made of 0.5-inch memory foam that protects the joints and knees from any impact.
Never worry about slippages as the ribbed surface on one side of the mat provides excellent non-slip grip.
- High-density and thick NBR foam makes the product durable and easy to clean
- Apt for individuals who keep traveling frequently
- Provides good balance and prevents injuries with an ideal design
- Smells bad
Exercising involves intense jumping and movement, which causes an impact on your joints.
Using an exercise mat on a hard floor helps in absorbing all the impact relieving your body from side effects.
But this depends on the thickness of the mat and the quality of the product used.
Choose a mat rather wisely, keeping important factors such as comfort, durability, value for the price, and exercise preferences in mind.
Go for an eco-friendly mat that surely does good to your environment and yourself as well.
Whatever mat might be your final choice always maintain hygiene by cleaning it after each use and not sharing it with others.