The power rack is one of the essential elements for setting up an advanced gym at home. Although when you think of a power rack, you consider that it is a piece of equipment that belongs exclusively to the gym, this equipment can be purchased to install in your home, garden, or training area to have complete equipment.
If you do not know exactly what a power rack is, its benefits, its importance, and if it is really worth it, you will find all the answers in this post.
What Is a Power Rack?
The power rack or power cage is a steel structure that is composed of four vertical bars joined together, offering a cage-like appearance, hence its name. Along its horizontal bars, a series of holes is included so that, through two supports or fixings, you can adjust the accessories to the height that is most convenient for you to exercise.
These bars are, in turn, joined by two horizontal bars, which are usually used to place a barbell and different grips to perform exercises such as pull-ups.
These structures can also include supports for you to store other accessories, such as adjustable weights or kettlebells.
Therefore, by adding so many accessories to the cage, the variety of exercises is practically limitless, and above all, it offers you security.
Although you can find different models of power racks in the market, almost all of them have a characteristic that differentiates them from the typical modern gym equipment: they allow you to work compound exercises.
Compound exercises involve several muscle groups, such as Bench Press, shoulder press, squats, deadlift, lunges, etc.
Is a Power Rack Worth It?
The power rack offers you the option to perform a really wide variety of exercises, which practically no accessory by itself will be able to give you that advantage.
It can be said that they also have an additional advantage compared to the typical exercises with pulley machines, and that is that you work on balance and coordination.
This allows you to have, in addition to a muscular body, a functional body and more immune to injuries.
Although this equipment takes up a lot of space, if you think about setting up a gym at home, with only having a power rack, you will not need other fitness equipment since the power rack offers you the possibility of training your whole body.
You have to add accessories such as a barbell, a bench, a pull-up bar, a dip station, and a lat pull-down attachment to perform up to 30 different exercises.
Another point in favor of the power rack that you will get is that it will allow you to lift large amounts of relatively high weight without the help of a spotter, i. e., without another person to help you.
Let us bear in mind that having your training cage available at the comfort of your home is an advantage to begin to improve your body and, in turn, your health.
What Is Smith Machines?
The Smith machine is a weight machine used for weight training. It consists of a barbell that is fixed within steel rails, allowing only vertical or near-vertical movement (Wikipedia). Smith machines offer balance for those who need it when squatting with bars since it is attached to the equipment’s frame.
This characteristic allows the bar movements to be vertical, although most models do not allow it to be moved from front to back.
The main benefit that the Smith machine provides is that you do not have to worry about controlling the bar since the frame does it for you.
That is why the exercises can be easier, safer, more balanced. This security means that you can train with more weight, even if that means that mobility is a little more limited.
The Smith machine is rarely the one of choice for Olympic weightlifters because they feel that the machine does all or most of the work for them. In this case, the Smith machine is not designed for those looking to develop power.
On the other hand, the Smith machine is chosen for those who seek safety since you will not need another person’s help to lift a weight bar.
This is because if you can’t hold the bar, it locks regardless of its position or even offers safety bars if you can’t lock it.
Why Are Squat Racks So Important for Building Muscle?
A squat rack will help you achieve your goals more efficiently and quickly, whether you want to improve your muscle mass, balance, flexibility, or perform cardio exercises.
Despite this, precision training is very important to meet that goal you are looking for.
Therefore, having a squat rack will help you in the following way:
- You will move more freely since the pieces are not attached to the equipment frame like other machines. This will allow you to have more extensive muscle training and exercise areas of the body together that other equipment does not allow.
- You can have a squat rack at home without having to go to a gym. This will allow you to have a more regular workout without having to move from home. Get complete training according to your needs.
- Squat racks offer security thanks to their bars designed to help you when you feel unbalanced due to the weight you are carrying. This avoids any accidents even when you are working with different heights.
- It doesn’t matter that you don’t have experience with weights. If you’re starting in the building muscle world, squat racks will provide you with unique support. Therefore, this equipment is ideal since the bars will give you the support you need. Even if you cannot lift the weight plates, you can only lift the bar to weigh up to 20 kg.
- By training with a squat rack, you will no longer need an assistant or coach. Just place the safety bars at the height that suits you best, and it is already suitable for your own personal use.
- You will not need other equipment. Training with a squat rack is enough to exercise all the body muscles since it is a piece of complete equipment.
What Are the Differences Between Power Racks and Squat Racks?
Many fitness enthusiasts consider the power rack and the squat rack to be the same equipment. However, many fitness trainers have made it clear that the two types of equipment are completely different.
On the one hand, the power rack comprises 4 vertical bars and one or two horizontal bars, leaving space in the middle for you to train, forming a cage. And on the other hand, a squat rack would be a half rack (half cage). That is, it is only made up of two vertical bars with support for the bar. As you can see, both are very different.
Apart from their structures, the difference between the two lies in their safety. Power racks are much safer and more stable, thanks to the security bars that squat racks do not have.
In this way, the power racks also provide a greater variability of exercises. Regarding the weight that each piece of equipment supports, the power racks retake first place.
Due to all these reasons, power racks are the most chosen when choosing between them.
Yes, power racks can indeed be more expensive and even a little larger. Still, the safety and the number of exercises it provides, plus the knowledge that they can replace many other fitness machines, its price is worth it.
On the other hand, if you don’t have a lot of space and don’t have a good budget, a squat rack will work.
What Other Workout Equipment Do I Need?
If you have already decided to buy a power rack for your home gym, with just a few additional elements, you can have a quality gym, train effectively and say goodbye forever to pay the fees of a conventional gym.
You can consider purchasing the following items:
- A weight bench: A power rack’s best friend is a weight bench. This can be reclining to do different variations of press or abdominals.
- An Olympic Weight Bar: You may not really know the difference between an Olympic weight bar and a conventional weight bar. Olympic bars are heavier and longer, about 7 feet, and are ideal for use in a power rack.
- Olympic weight plates: If the best friend of a power rack is a weight bench, the best friend of a barbell is a good pack of Olympic weight plates. They are rubber discs, more comfortable than iron ones to handle and to avoid shock scares. The center hole is made of polished steel, which reduces friction and facilitates the insertion/removal of discs.
- Shock-resistant gym mats: You have a wide variety of mats to protect your floors, among which they differ in material and prices—besides, stability when training is a matter of care and safety. When you are training, you need a rough and grippy surface to avoid muscle injuries.
- Belt to lift weight: The belt to lift weight will be among the necessary accessories to take care of a possible injury. You can choose the one of your preference in any online fitness store.
Other elements to consider could be a mirror because it allows you to self-monitor and motivate you to exercise regularly and a heart rate monitor that you can acquire over time to improve your training and achieve the objectives set with help.
What Workouts Can I Perform with a Power Rack?
The power rack is the most recommended exercise equipment. It allows you to do all multi-joint exercises and with free weight safely, minimizing the risk of injury.
The power rack is also known as that training machine that allows athletes to perform exercises at both basic and advanced levels.
Unlike common gyms, the power rack allows you to work compound exercises (those that involve different muscle groups), in which case, you could do it from home with the time you prefer and in the space you want with the following exercises:
- Hack pull
- Barbell row
- Bicep curls
With the help of an adjustable weight bench:
- Bench press
- Military press
- Triceps extensions
- Barbell hip raises
You can perform training routines for both strength and muscle gain, but not only these. You can do any routine to tone or different exercises to lose weight at home. You have to adapt your exercises to this magnificent gym equipment.
This domestic CrossFit cage is completely safe, both in its structure and in the way of performing the exercises.
For example, when you squat with a large amount of weight, you should only place the barbell on the safety bars.
If they weren’t, you would drop the barbell and risk injuring yourself. This way, you don’t need extra help.
We encourage you to have your own power rack at home and thus exercise more comfortably since having a power rack at home is a symbol of having a gym at any time and whenever you need it.
Take into account space and your budget to have one, although there are different models that you can always consider if your space is limited.
Keep in mind that investing in a power rack will be the best thing you can do if you want to develop muscle mass and train the whole body since, with this equipment, reaching your goal will be faster, easier, and safer.