Total Gym is a home gym equipment brand that has a strong rooting in the fitness market for more than four decades now. Its newest home gym model Total Gym XLS is an all-in-one home gym equipment that offers overall body exercising options for people right from 8-year-old kids to 80-year-old elderly adults boasting of different training and resistance levels.
It consists of lots of attachments such as leg pull attachment, ribbed squat stand, wing attachment and it has the ability to provide full-body workouts with more than 80 exercising options.
The pulley system of Total Gym XLS is made of 1000 lb rated vinyl coated cables, which is an upgrade from other older models (Total Gym 1100, 1400, 1700, etc.) The interchangeable attachments come along with Total Gym XLS is also made of durable nylon coated with soft rubber padding, offering a comfortable grip.
The maximum weight capacity of this home gym is up to 400 lbs, and you can do strength workouts on this machine without worrying about its stability issues, thanks to its thick, wide, and improved padding.
Moreover, you do not have any need to assemble this home gym as it comes pre-assembled. And the compact design requires small spaces that can be folded to store easily.
Total Gym XLS also comes with 5 instructional DVDs and 6 resistance levels to perform workouts based on yoga, cardio stretching resistance training, pilates, and stretch training, along with exercise chat and diet plan.
All in all, having this machine is like owning a full home gym that comes with affordable prices and less space and is not limited in terms of age, training levels, sex, or fitness goal.
What I Like About Total Gym XLS
- One of the popular and successful pieces of equipment from the Total Gym family exists as a fitness treat for every user belonging to any age group from 8-80 years.
- Requires zero assemblies that’s a big relief for many
- Lifetime warranty on the frame
- Only 43” H when in use, suitable for low ceilings room.
- Accommodates the facility to bring about 80 different exercise variations, which makes this home gym versatile.
- Provides full-body workout excelling in strength training, cardio, and weight loss
- The resistance levels can be adjusted easily, providing you a smooth workout experience
- Can bear weight up to 400 pounds
- Has multiple accessories besides exercise-based ones, including a set of 5 workout DVDs, a nutrition guide, an exercise chart, and a training deck
What Could Be Better
- Limited 6-month warranty on parts. And parts are quite costly
- Not able to provide extreme strength training like a weight stack home gym.
- The transport wheel will wear after using for a long time
- Limited resistance levels that don’t go well with many users
- Not suitable for tall users over 6’2”
Specifications of Total Gym XLS
- Number of Exercises: Over 80
- Resistance Levels: 6
- Foldable for Storage: Yes
- Assembly Required: No
- Total Gym TV Basic Included: Yes
- Dimensions Unfolded (WxLxH): 19” x 90” x 43”
- Dimensions Folded (WxLxH): 19” x 51” x 9”
- Unit Weight: 68 lbs
- Maximum User Weight: 400 lbs
- Warranty on Frame: Lifetime
- Warranty on Parts: 6 months
- Attachments Included: Leg Pull Attachment, Ribbed Squat Stand, Wing Attachment
Who Is Total Gym XLS For?
- Total Gym XLS is for users of any age group from 8-80 years. Go ahead without any worries regarding safety options. And the glide boards give you a smooth gliding motion that goes unaffected on the joint.
- Suitable for users of different fitness levels. Total Gym XLS comes with 6 different resistance levels and that enables everyone—beginner, an intermediate trainer, or an advanced trainer making them compete against themselves to improve workout performance.
- Suitable for users who are under 6’2”.
- Total Gym XLS is also for those who want to own a home gym but live in a low ceiling room.
Any equipment must have a solid frame for durability, and the Total Gym XLS is made of strong steel tubing that fits this requirement precisely. Exercising on such a sturdy frame prevents any movement while performing the activity.
With a weight capacity of 400 pounds and such a solid frame, the Total Gym XLS makes excellent home gym equipment durable and high performing.
The weight capacity is much higher than what’s been offered by other home gym equipment in the same category.
Total Gym XLS Workouts
We do floor exercises at our home that comprises at most 20 different variations or body workouts. At the gym, we train with the trainer and do at most 30 different workouts regularly. But how about doing over 80 different exercises that work out all of your different muscle groups?
It’s seriously amazing, but if you are doubtful whether it is practically possible, then it’s a definite yes!
Total Gym XLS comes with more than 20-30 major exercises, with the rest 50-60 being slightly different variations of the same benefiting muscle in the body.
It is an all-in-all solution for cardio, circuit training, stretching, and strength training accommodating every exercise need of the user.
The common exercises that are popular among Total Gym XLS users include squats, bicep curls, leg curls, outer hip and thigh workout, chest press, pullover, and crunch pull-ups, lying triceps extension, shoulder press, curl extension, and toe touch stretch.
The Total Gym XLS also comes with a range of accessories, including pull-up bars, dip bars, weight bars, leg pull mechanisms, ab crunch, and pilates that promote weight loss and shape your body.
Every kind of accessory provides a workout for different parts of your body and brings about different variations that break the monotony and keeps the user engaged.
This home gym also offers the possibility to buy additional accessories, including the training deck, upgraded squat stand, wing attachment, and leg pulley attachment.
Some even buy the AbCrunch attachment, making it possible for an additional 10 different exercises to strengthen core muscles. With so many possibilities, what’s the need to step out of your home for an exercising experience?
Assembly & Warranty
The Total Gym XLS is fully assembled, requiring zero effort and time from the consumer to start assembling the home gym.
This is a big relief for most users, as many spend hours together figuring out the right fixation methods and breaking their heads over the instruction manual.
This is an excellent feature of this equipment that attracts plenty of users. All that you need to do is unpack the equipment on arrival, set it in a definite place, and start using it.
I insist on a fixed place as the home gym is heavy and cannot be moved around as desired, especially single-handedly.
Warranty is slightly compromised here as the XLS model has only a 6 months warranty on the parts, which is very short compared to other similar home gym equipment.
The frame, though, comes with a lifetime warranty.
There are six different resistance levels offered from 6-26 degrees, accommodating 6-54% of body weight.
The specialty here is that instead of using weights for resistance, the home gym strengthens all muscle groups by ultimately forcing you to lift a percentage of your body weight against gravity.
Each level of incline forces the use of a different bodyweight percentage suitable for the specified level. You can always start with the basic resistance level and go further by increasing the inclination to lift more of your body weight.
Such self-induced resistance works just right for the body preventing any chances of injury as you don’t exert yourself more than what’s possible.
Total Gym XLS Alternatives
The Total Gym XLS is an excellent option for those who want to have cardio and strength workouts in the comfort of their home.
But for those who prefer more resistance levels to benefit more from exercising, the Total Gym FIT is a better alternative as it comes with 12 different resistance levels. In terms of weight capacity, too, the Total Gym FIT can bear up to 450 pounds.
When it comes to exercising options, the difference is not pretty much—the Fit model offers over 85 exercise options while the XLS offers over 80 different options.
But as a price for all these additional advantages, the Total Gym FIT comes at a hefty purchase cost.
The Bottom Line
All the specifications and features are listed here clearly. For the focused user who has a goal in their mind, the review would have clarified their decision.
The Total Gym XLS is a versatile exercise machine providing the user with several exercising options that offer an overall body workout.
It is also a system that can be used by any user belonging to any age group that makes it a favorite among most people.
The Total Gym XLS comes from the garage of one of the best home gym manufacturers, and hence, there is no doubt about its frame quality, structure, and durability.
It provides a comfortable exercising experience with its smooth glide board and rubber padded handles and worth the money invested if you use it diligently to reap benefits.